14 April, 2008

Reflections on Teaching with Anna's Presentation I

Today Marjan and I went to North Minneapolis to see if there were any receptive places there, where people would want to hear about the Baha'i faith. Not really "door knocking" just talkin' to folks on the street.

Things I learned:

I think that if I am sitting while the other person
with me is standing doing the presentation, that I
am much more inclined to just focus on being
present, saying a prayer in my heart for the situation,
and just be supportive in that way (which we have
found to be a great way to support the other person
delivering the presentation so you don't "kill the flow"
for them)

I am intimidated to walk around a mostly black community, but was much more relaxed once we were doing it.


It really helps to be WITH a friend and not be on your own so that you have that "support"; that person to reflect with each time.

When you say "Can I share more about
the Baha'i Faith with you?" you end up
feeling so much more alive, so much more
motivated, when those words have crossed
your lips. "It is in their hands now" Marjan
said.

Teaching the faith with someone you have diversity with in any way racially, sex, or age can really help, because, my thinking is, that the benefit derives from being able to touch more people. That is to say, if two white, 25 yr old, females go to teach, they may find in this theory, that if one of them was of a different race or gender or just 10 yrs older or younger, they would have more to share with more people in way of "relation"- until it is fully understood in the conversation that we are all human and in that there is enough...




-end of learning so far-



Just wanted to pause to write some things that I am curious about.

I am first curious to go up to someone and after having introduced my self and friend(s) saying "HEY! Have you heard about the Baha'i Faith yet?" only, in a genuinely energetic and inspired way! Why wouldn't I be excited? I mean, if this is the Day of God, how are you going to deliver this to people, a dry quiet "here ya go..." or are you going to be more successful being a vibrant soul? I think I would be more inclined to believe that being a "vibrant soul" (which by the way I just realized having that on a t shirt while teaching would ROCK MY SOCKS OFF!!) while teaching is a far better way...

In the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Baha'u'llah states:

"Consort ye then with the followers of all religions, and proclaim ye the Cause of your Lord, the Most Compassionate; this is the very crown of deeds, if ye be of them who understand."

I am so happy to have been a part of that in some small way... And feel so blessed that I am even able to try!

Thanks, O Divine Source of Inspiration!

No comments: